Kicking it old school...real old school.

15.10.07

Shalom, y'all

Okay. So I made it to the Holy Land...and it's amazing. I promised this blog AGES ago, but I've been busy, with the whole moving thing.

I finally found an apartment here, in a little Arab neighbourhood called Abu Tor (read an older article about it here - keep in mind things have changed yet some remains the same). It's a mix of Jews, Arabs and CNN reporters. Quite eclectic yet quiet and peaceful. It's a gorgeous neighbourhood - what you would imagine Jerusalem to look like.

Here's a picture of me:



That's the former tenant to my left. The landlady/daughter told us to leave the picture up "in remembrance". We'll see.

I live with two people. This is Mitsunori:



He's Japanese and plays percussion. He's holding a 4 year-old frozen head of cabbage that the dead lady left. Don't ask, I don't have an answer.

And this is Ben:



He doesn't usually wear aprons like this one, but it was too funny to not capture on film. He's a horn player just like me, and, if you can believe it, we went to grad school together. The music world is just THAT SMALL.

Anywho, I arrived in Jerusalem on Oct.3. It was warm, yet the wind felt oddly cool. I was jetlagged and filled with excitement, which kept me up for a few days. My old friend Kyle Hoyt - whom I went to undergrad with and is also a horn player (remember that SMALL WORLD comment?) - met Ben and me at the Tel Aviv airport with a car waiting. First-class, right? The drive to Jerusalem - about 50 minutes - was scenic. I arrived at the home of Shai, our host, and he welcomed us with food. It's an Israeli thing.

Days were spent walking around town and exploring, practicing for my first rehearsal with the Jerusalem Symphony Orchestra, a few days after my arrival. The city is exciting, full of life. I came in without expectations. I think I'm happy about that. Food has been amazing and the people have been warm and completely inviting.

Our first concert was this past Thursday and it went well. I'm enjoying a full-time position, for the (seemingly)first time in my life, and loving that music is its central focus. Musicians here are filled with emotion and excitement that one doesn't experience often in America. I feel a bit "at home" now. All those comments during college about my "over-emotional" playing are down the toilet. The European one, with the small handle for #1, big handle for #2. Ingenious!:



I've made a quick trip to the Old City and only came up with this measly picture of the Western Wall:



Emotional. I wasn't expecting that, either. But the amount of history and cultural identity here is dumbfounding. The experience thus far was culminated into a true, emotional experience on that wall. I hope there are more to come....

Speaking of more to come, look soon for more on my blog. I plan to update frequently, and I know how you all love to sit and waste time reading a blog. Enjoy.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I intend to spam this two-bit blog with pithy ruminations about the health benefits of bok choy and Libertarian manifestos inspired by the lyrics of P.M. Dawn's stunning oeuvre.

Love you and miss you!

Hannah said...

Thanks for the blog, Stephen! Great!

Anonymous said...

So envious of your new cultural experience and living vicariously. Our thoughts are with you and congratulations on your first concert with the J-town symphony.
Love,
Allie

Unknown said...

Nobody reads blogs sweetie. They only write them heehee. Whoops I just read your blog. D'oh!

Unknown said...

Yay! I can't wait for more.

Jim Guttau said...

Jewish Slater,

So glad a witty Georgian like yourself has taken up blogging on life in Israel. Who knows, it may help lead you to even bigger things!

All of us here in the snow-capped Rocky Mountains miss you dearly. And, those little mountain goats say "bleet-bleet."

Anonymous said...

Exactly the type of chronicle I expected of the Holy Land, your words are riveting as they expose the trials and tribulations of such passionate people.

I can’t wait to read and see more. Congratulations!

suzyperelman said...

My fellow Jew!! Are you seriously half-Jewish?? Or are you just automatically Jewish now because you live there? Well, in either case, I feel more bonded to you, sweet Slater!! That's AWESOME that your first concert was a great experience! I hope all of your concerts are so amazing!! There's A LOT of talent all over Israel. And A LOT of emotion, so it makes sense that your emotional playing doesn't have to go down the toilet (the European kind). I hope you're loving the falafel and the hummus-- seriously, try the hummus in Abu Gosh (it's to die for). So awesome to read up about you!!!

Fletcher said...

so there is a place for supposedly over-emotional musicians after all? looking forward to reading more.

Anonymous said...

Who said Matt had all the literary talent in the Slater family? This blog gives him a pretty good run for the money. Mom and I anxiously await your next installment...please don't make us wait too long.
Love,
Dad

Devon said...

Oh, you're straight out of a This American Life commentary.

Anonymous said...

Hi Slater! I love your blog, I feel like I know you so much better now, and you live such an adventurous life. Here I am in little ol' Colorado but hey, I can eat all the good meats that I want. I can't wait to read more and tell that crazy Ben hello for me. Greg says Hello as well! loved ya Lynda

meaghan said...

Lots of love from Evansville, Indiana: Where over-emotional musicians go to die. You narrowly escaped, dear.

Anonymous said...

slater,

you're pretty far away.

m

Shalom, y'all.

My photo
Jerusalem, Israel
Half Episcopalian, half Jewish. 100% Pissy-Jew.

Kyle Mills

Blog dedicated to the memory of Kyle Mills - my best friend, hero and, quite possibly, world's greatest traveler. My adventures are your adventures. Love Love Love.