Kicking it old school...real old school.

28.10.07

Why is Sunday important?

My weekend:

Friday - It all started out innocently enough, with me waking up at the un-HisName-ly hour of 6:00AM to play a round of tennis. I was thoroughly beaten by my new friend Sashca who plays bassoon in the orchestra. He and my friend Shai like to start tennis at 7:00AM. Why? I don't get this whole waking up early.

Anywho, after sleeping for a couple of hours in the afternoon, I went to my first Shabbos dinner. Although it wasn't the most traditional of Shabbats - lesbian rabbi at the Jerusalem Open House GLBT Center, use of electricity, women shaking men's hands - it was still an incredible experience. I thought not to take pictures considering it is custom, so I don't have any. Big surprise, eh? The service was completely in Hebrew, but my friend and concertmaster of the JSO Jenny helped translate. Hearing Biblical Hebrew sung is wildly gorgeous. You must have this experience. The entire evening, complete with full dinner, was outstanding.

Later that evening I threw a very un-Shabbat-like housewarming party. It fulfilled my social being. The only picture I got out of it was this one:



That's Mitusnori on the left, Jenny in the middle and Taki on the right. I know, I know. I suck for not taking pictures. But look!...

Saturday - After sleeping for 12 hours I woke up and went straight to the Jerusalem Theatre to catch a bus that was taking the entire orchestra to our concert in Tel Aviv. On the bus I brought along my camera...FINALLY:



Okay, that's my friend Shai on the left and Jennny on the right. They weren't into taking pictures.

Here's a picture of Kyle (see first post):



Who's the man?!

The bus ride was scenic but my camera sucks:



This is the best shot I got. We went through a few villages on the way to Tel Aviv, which shows you a real Israel, complete with checkpoints. You don't see this often within the city limits.

We arrived at the hall and played a Broadway concert to thousands. Or a thousand. I can't remember. Anywho, this is where we played:



Kyle is like the master of pointing! Sign him up to an agency, cause he got game!

We got home around midnight, and we was tired. Just look at us on our walk home:





Sunday - Morning hit us like a ton of bricks, but we walked to rehearsal and had a quick and easy one. Afterwards, Ben, Kyle and myself took a cab to get Tax I.D. numbers. I barely know what the heck these are but we got them after Kyle used his brilliant Hebrew powers. The numbers are for gigs and stuff. Boring.

We had lunch at the tax place and it was delicious. The restaurant was typical of a working-class establishment for lunch. This is a dish that I'm kinda in love with called Kube:



Too bad it gives me a case of the screaming mimis. I think it's worth it in the end. The soup is flavourful and sour, with dumplings filled with meat. Every order comes with pita, hummos and salat: a mix of raw onion, pickles and sometimes peppers:



Delicious.

Our bus ride home was a bit confusing:



Okay, I lied. I had them pose.

No comments:

Shalom, y'all.

My photo
Jerusalem, Israel
Half Episcopalian, half Jewish. 100% Pissy-Jew.

Kyle Mills

Blog dedicated to the memory of Kyle Mills - my best friend, hero and, quite possibly, world's greatest traveler. My adventures are your adventures. Love Love Love.